Saturday, April 10, 2010

In-Laws Extended Family Birthdays

Okay now, try to keep up...my brother-in-law's sister's grandkids had birthdays recently. They decided to do one big birthday party for 3 of them instead of 3 separate parties. So today, Paul and I took Sophie to the party for Aurora (age 1), Cora (age 1), and Brianna (age 11). Aurora and Brianna are sisters and Cora is their cousin. There were about 8 kids (all related in some way or other) running around. Poor Brianna had to wait while the little ones "smashed" their cakes before she could blow out her candles. But she was the first to open presents since she was really the only one who could. One of the aunts had thought it through enough to realize that with all the kids around there might be some hurt feelings since only 3 were actually getting gifts, so she had presents for everyone, including Sophie. We had fun and Sophie enjoyed getting to play with everyone.

To explain just a little further as to why we were even invited to this party...

After my parents divorced and my sister married (and while I was still single), I started spending holidays with my brother-in-law's family. It just worked out that Dad and I went there for Thanksgiving dinner and at some point during Christmas to have time with my sister. Before I married Paul I even referred to my brother-in-law's mom as my mother-in-law (which was easier than explaining the truth). Because they typically have huge family gatherings, we've just sort of become like family through the years.

No comments: