Monday, August 29, 2011

Meal Plan Monday August 29




Since I have never linked up to this before, I decided to do it a little different. First up, will be last week's meals along with some pictures and comments about the meal. I'll post this week's plan at the very end (and hopefully do it all again next week, showing you how those meals turned out). Check out more menu plans at I'm an Organizing Junkie.




Monday: Broiled Chicken with Oyster Sauce



This recipe came from the cookbook we got when Paul and I did the cooking class. I very rarely use "bone-in" chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are about all I ever buy. And for good reason. This is the second Chinese food recipe that called for bone-in chicken, and both times the food didn't get cooked. I promise, I am following the directions. This one I ended up broiling about twice the instructed time, then ended up baking for 15 minutes. I didn't get a picture when I fixed it so this is the leftovers Paul took for lunch. The bad part was that I did a double batch so I'd have chicken for another meal later in the week. Once it was cooked Paul loved it, I on the other hand had lost my appetite. (I think I ate a toaster strudel after the kids went to bed.)









Tuesday: Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodles
Because I have been working on Tuesday and Thursday, I try to make those nights the easiest meals. That way when I don't really have an excuse when I don't feel like cooking. I put everything in the crock pot in the morning except the noodles (those I made just before serving). I looked and smelled great. Paul and I liked it, and between both kids they liked it. Logan ate the noodles and Sophie at the chicken. There was a lot left over though. I kept a couple of servings for me and Paul and gave the rest to a friend.





Afternoon Snack: Apple Nachos
This recipe came from the newest Kraft Food & Family Magazine. I love this magazine, it used to be free but now I think you have to actually pay for a subscription. You should be able to find all the recipes online though. While the kids napped, I sliced the apples and got everything ready. Once they woke up, I gave them each a plate with the apples laid out. then they got to choose which toppings they wanted. Logan wanted it all, but Sophie didn't want the marshmallows. Not that it mattered...the only thing she ate was the chocolate chips.












Wednesday: Stir-Fried Chicken with Zucchini
This was also from our Chinese cookbook, but it turned out so much better than Monday's. I have been planning my meals smarter by waiting until I pick up the produce co-op basket and then choosing meals where I can use some of that produce. This week's basket included zucchini and yellow squash so I used them both in this dish. This recipe was a little spicier than normal (I think that was the garlic chili sauce). Because of that, Paul loved it. Actually we all did. Of course, the kids and I just had "no thank you" helpings of the veggies, but Sophie probably ate a whole chicken breast by herself.











Thursday: Pulled Pork Chili
Another recipe from Kraft. I couldn't find just a plain pork shoulder at the store. All they had was one that was already seasoned, so I just left out the seasonings that the recipe called for.










It turned out really good (and I'm not much of a pork person). If you don't believe me, just take a look at my kids.












Sophie loves all kinds of soup and I think this is why...she loves to slurp from a bowl! Both kids ate 2 helpings of this chili.




Friday: Dinner at Grandma's



We went to visit Paul's family so we had chicken and veggies at her house.


Saturday: French Onion soup



Both Paul and I had plans for Saturday night and the kids were getting dinner where they stayed so I fixed this for our lunch. It really wasn't a great choice for a 100+ degree day but that what we got. It tasted pretty good and was fairly simple. I will probably make again the next time we get onions in the co-op basket. I thought the kids would love it since they like soups but I think putting the bread on top wasn't the thing for them, so next time I'll just put that on the side. (It looked more appetizing before we broke up the bread in Logan's bowl.)









As it turned out Paul had something tonight so he didn't eat with us. The kids didn't like dinner much so there are plenty of leftovers for Paul to have for lunch.


















Here's next week's plan:



Monday: Asian Chicken Noodle Salad



Tuesday: Slow Cooker Pork Cacciatore



Wednesday: dinner out



Thursday: Baked Pesto Chicken



Friday: Bacon Cheeseburger Casserole



Saturday and Sunday: out-of-town







I've actually already started the next week too, but I'll tweak it after I get the produce co-op on Friday.


No comments: