Saturday, April 28, 2012

Introducing Yoda the Anole Lizard

So it was reptile/amphibian week at the preschool and the teachers decided that for Show and Tell the kids could bring something to go along with that theme.  It could be a picture, stuffed animal, or other toy.  Being the director, I thought it would be cool to have Logan bring a live reptile.  I figured his class would love to have the real thing visit.  So after school on Wednesday, we stopped at the pet store.  I told the worker that I was looking for a cheap reptile or amphibian.  She directed me to the anole lizards ($7) and asked if I had some to keep him in.  When I said no she took me to where the habitats were.  I was expecting a smallish plastic box, something portable that I could carry him to preschool in.  Oh, no...anoles require the same type of set-up as the bigger more expensive reptiles.  She starts putting stuff in my basket and I'm too embarrassed to tell her I just wanted something to last until Friday for show and tell. Over $100 later and we have a new pet!

 Nice digs, huh?

 Judging by his green color, he likes his new home.


Here's the kicker...the pet store was all out of portable carriers, so we didn't even get to take him to show and tell.  It took all of about 30 minutes for me to be completely creeped out by htaving a lizard in my home.  He has to eat live crickets so we have those in the house, too.  We'll see how long this lasts...I'm thinking there's some cousin who might like Yoda even better. 

No comments: