Saturday, December 18, 2010

China Trip Ji Nan Part 2

After the Civil Affairs office, we decided to go to Daming Lake. It was really cold. I'm sure in April when there are leaves on the trees and flowers, it's beautiful.


We had lunch in the room then took naps. We decided to try McDonald's for dinner (mainly for the play area so he could run around). He didn't like the burger or chicken nuggets and only ate a few fries. But he loved the slide with Paul.



After dinner and playing, Paul took over doing the same thing he normally does at home...bathtime. After a bath and brushing teeth we played for a bit before putting Logan to bed. I got him up again during the night to potty (but I think he could probably hold it all night).

On Wednesday, we had a long day. We left at 8:30am for a 2.5 hour car ride to Weifang City where his orphanage is located. They required the notarization be done there (and not in Ji Nan City). It was extremely cold again, but no snow, sleet or rain. Signing the papers didn't take long but unfortunately we got there just before lunch so we had a 3 hour wait before they would be notarized and we could pick them up. Our driver suggested a restaurant next door for lunch and to wait. I knew it was going to be crazy food when I saw the pig NOSES!!! I ate fried rice and some beef stuff. They had also ordered a chicken and Paul and I had a good laugh over the fact that it included chicken FEET! ( I also pointed out the chicken's head to Paul.) Logan mostly ate the beef and some noodles. Luckily, we've all been eating a big breakfast at the hotel buffet (and I had snacks since I knew we had a long drive).

I did have a rough time because Logan didn't really potty all day. We didn't know how to help him use the Chinese toilets (the only kind they had) and he wouldn't go standing up either. After we picked up our copies, we headed back to the hotel. Logan fell asleep pretty fast but unfortunately the traffic was a lot worse and it took longer to return to Ji Nan. With about 45 minutes left of the trip, Logan woke up and got really distressed. I figured he needed to potty, and Ruby confirmed that because he actually looked like he was in a lot of pain. It really just broke my heart to see him so upset. We ended up having to stop on the side of the road. Paul was able to get him to go standing up and then he was all smiles for the rest of the trip. I didn't take any pictures because there really wasn't much to see. We were driving too fast to get anything on the road and the building we went to was just that...a plain gray building. I really wanted to take some pictures in the restaurant, but there was this half-naked little boy running around and I was afraid of how it might look. And it was COLD! They even had the heat shut off in the restaurant after lunch to save energy/money. I think I had my gloves on most of the trip.


On Thursday, we went to see the Shandong Provincial Museum since we didn't have anything adoption-related. It is in a brand-new building, only been open about a month. If we hadn't had a 4-year-old in tow, we probably would have enjoyed it more. There was several military personnel there and it made me vary nervous to have Logan running around. They did have a children's area where we played with some puzzles. Of course, Logan would have been just as content to ride the escalator up and down the whole time.









After the museum, Ruby took us to a popular restaurant near the hotel. We ordered way too much food but did find a fried rice Logan would eat (almost no veggies and a brown sauce).





After lunch, we went to a book store. We got a DVD set of a popular Chinese show, Mulan in Chinese and English, plus a PC program for Chinese language. Then I went nuts in the kids section. The words don't even have to be in English for me to love BOOKS! Paul took Logan back to the hotel for a nap while I went to get a few things at the market. We stayed in the rest of the night. I took Logan to the Christmas tree in the hotel to take some pictures. We got some ice cream, which Logan really liked.














I'm still waking up way too early, but I did get some work done before breakfast. After breakfast, we got packed up and then headed to the airport. We got to the airport early and then had another hour delay. So tough trying to entertain a preschooler in a foreign airport when all you want is to be home. We assumed he'd go right to sleep once we got on the plane but we were WRONG! He hated the seatbelt (but only during take-off and landing). He actually did pretty well once he stopped crying about the seatbelt. He never went to sleep, but we stayed occupied coloring and playing with cars. As we were landing, he really wanted to look out the window so we will probably do that on the next flight and see if he does better.








No comments: